After four years’ planning and renovation, the Shouhuang Palace complex of Jingshan Park started trial opening on November 22, marking the debut of all buildings along the central axis in Beijing.
The Shouhuang Palace complex was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and it was situated at the northeast of Jingshan Park. In 1749, the 14th year of the reign of Emperor Qianlong, the complex was rebuilt in the north of Jingshan Park, becoming one of the important buildings along the central axis of Beijing.
The complex covers a total area of 21,256 square meters and a construction area of 3,797.68 square meters, which is the second largest palace complex along the central axis following the Forbidden City. Consisting of two inner and outer courtyards, the complex was modeled after the Imperial Ancestral Temple, which had been built in the highest level of architectural form in ancient China.
During the Ming and Qing dynasties (1368-1911), the Shouhuang Palace complex was a dedicated place for worshipping the ancestors of royal families, which embodies rich cultures, such as the Chinese nation’s sacrificial culture and the imperial ritual music and filial piety cultures.
On January 1, 1956, Beijing Children’s Palace was inaugurated at the Shouhuang Palace. But in order to protect ancient cultural relics, the Shouhuang Palace complex was returned to Jingshan Park on December 31, 2013, and in April, 2016, the renovation project began to restore its historical appearances during the 14th year of the reign of Emperor Qianlong.