Models of Beijing subway trains [Photo by Luo Xiaoguang/Xinhua]
Do you often ride a subway? What we will talk about is the station names we commonly see along the lines of the Beijing Subway, but many of which conceal interesting stories.
Xizhimen - Dazhongsi - Zhichunlu - Wudaokou - Shangdi - Xierqi - Longze - Huilongguan - Huoying - Lishuiqiao - Beiyuan - Wangjing West - Shaoyaoju - Taiyanggong - Guangximen - Liufang - Dongzhimen
Dazhongsi: The station is named after a temple formerly called Juesheng Temple. Built in 1733, the 11th year of the reign of Emperor Yongzheng (1722-1735) of the Qing Dynasty, the temple used to be one of the places where Qing emperors prayed for rain. Inside the temple there is the Yongle Big Bell, which was made by the order of Emperor Zhu Di of Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
Dazhongsi [Photo by Luo Xiaoguang/Xinhua]
Dazhongsi [Photo by Luo Xiaoguang/Xinhua]
Zhichunlu: The road was built for the 11th Asian Games in 1990 and got the name for a neighboring community called Zhichunli.
Wudaokou: The station is named after a railway crossing. Before the foundation of the People’s Republic of China, there were wastelands to the north of Xizhimen railway station, so those roads crossing the railway were called in orders and Wudaokou was the fifth crossroad after Yidaokou and Erdaokou or the first crossroad, the second crossroad and more...
Wudaokou Station [Photo/Qianlong]
Shangdi: It is named for its high terrain. The original name was Yongshunzhuang, symbolizing all the best forever. There was once a temple in the village set up for a eunuch of Empress Dowager Cixi, who had 1,000 acres (404.69 hectares) of farmland. After 1912, his descendants opened Jufeng Grain Store to sell oil and salt.
Xierqi: It is the name of a village, which was evolved from the stations of the cavalry in the Ming Dynasty.
Longze: It is named after a neighboring community called Longzeyuan, which takes the lead to construct “Cultural living communities in Huilongguan”.
Huilongguan: It is named after a Taoist temple. The temple called Xuanfugong was built in 1504 to be the rest place for Ming Dynasty’s emperors and empresses on the way to worship mausoleums. Now it is commonly known as Huilongguan and the surviving sites still exist.
A community in Huilongguan [Photo/Qianlong]
Wangjing West: The station gets the name for its location at the west of Dawangjing Village. The village was named after Wangjing Hall, which accommodated the envoys in the Liao Dynasty (916-1125).
Wangjing West Station[Photo/Qianlong]
Guangximen: This subway station was built on the site of the capital city wall in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368).
Liufang: It is homophonic to the former name of a neighboring village called “Niufang”, a byre, in the Republic of China’s Minguo Era (1912-1949). Later the village was transformed into the residential area in 1982 and renamed as Liufang that means willow fragrance in 1988.
Sihui – Sihui East - Gaobeidian - Communication University of China - Shuangqiao - Guanzhuang – Baliqiao - Tongzhoubeiyuan - Guoyuan - Jiukeshu - Liyuan – Linheli - Tuqiao
Batong Line [Photo/Qianlong]
Gaobeidian: formerly known as Jingting. “There is Gaomidian or namely Gaobeidian on the way from Tongzhou to the capital”, recorded in the Beijing history documentation.
Shuangqiao: It originally refers to the two bridges over Tonghui River which facilitated people’s travel between two sides of the river. In 1995 a new large-scale flyover was built next to the two bridges.
Guanzhuang: When the village was born, most of the villagers had the surname of “Guan”, as recorded in the historical books in 1593.
Baliqiao: There was a bridge called Yongtong Bridge in history. Built in 1446, it was commonly known as Bali Bridge because of its 8-li-long (4-km-long) distance from the west of Tongzhou. A large-scale war Battle of Baliqiao took place here between the Chinese army and the combined Anglo-French force in the Qing Dynasty.
Tongzhoubeiyuan: The station is located in Tongzhou District, so it was named Tongzhoubeiyuan so as to distinguish from the Beiyuan Station of Line 13.
Guoyuan: The neighboring villages grow plants or crops and they are named for the plants or crops, such as Haw Orchard (Guoyuan), Cucumber Garden and Vegetable Garden Village.
Jiukeshu: It is said that there were 99 trees in the village, so the village was called “99 Trees Village”. Later, the village’s name was shortened for hardness to pronounce to “9 Trees (Jiukeshu)”.
Liyuan: There was once an orchard here in the Ming Dynasty. Migrants saw many pear trees in the orchard, so the village was named Pear Tree Garden (Liyuan).
Linheli: It was originally called Xiaojie. In the ancient times, Tonghui River Ancient Road passed through this area and a short street was built by the villagers. So the area was named Small Street (Xiaojie), and later called Linhe Village or riverside village for its location at the west side of Luhe River.
Tuqiao: The name is originated from a wooden bridge called Guangli Bridge. In the Yuan Dynasty, rice and tributes from the south and the north were shipped at Zhangjiawan Wharf of the Grand Canal and then transported by land to the capital and Tongzhou. In order to facilitate the traffic, Guangli Bridge was built and its deck was made with lime earth. Due to the heavy traffic day and night. The lime earth on the bridge was dry during the drought while muddy in rain, so it is commonly known as the Dust Bridge or Tuqiao.
Tuqiao Station [Photo/Qianlong]